Director of Media and Strategic Relationships (Oakland)
Global Footprint Network is a growing, international non-profit organization that promotes a sustainable economy by advancing the Ecological Footprint, a tool that makes sustainability measurable. The Ecological Footprint has become one of the most widely used sustainability metrics in the world. It is the only tool that comprehensively measures human demand on the planet against what the planet can supply, and is increasingly being used by governments and investors to guide decision making in a resource constrained world.
Global Footprint Network recently completed a renewed organizational strategy which aims to put the organization in front of new international audiences and creates unprecedented opportunities for growth. To make the most of this critical time, Global Footprint Network is seeking a Director of Media and Strategic Relationships to take our communications and partnership programs to a new level, and to provide creativity and leadership for the entire organization. Already known for the effectiveness of our messaging and our brand, we now seek a Director to play a central role in the roll-out of our new organizational strategy and to evolve the Department from one with a modest scope to one of much more strategic importance.
The Director of Media and Strategic Relationships is a mission-focused, individual with the ability and experience to drive impact. This is a hands-on role requiring the ability to create strategic outreach plans, interface collaboratively across departments and offices, motivate and develop staff while personally executing day-to-day activities, such as writing and pitching stories.
While it is essential that this individual establish efficient and effective communication and impact measurement systems it is also critical that they help retain the entrepreneurial spark that has made Global Footprint Network so successful to date. The Director will participate in the management team and will report directly to the President.
The Director of Media and Strategic Relationships:
- Increases the influence and impact of Global Footprint Network's data, tools, research and analysis by leading an integrated communications program that includes events, publications, media relations, online engagement, and government and NGO outreach.
- Develops plans and programs to influence decision-makers, inspire donors and supporters, and promote Global Footprint Network and our ideas to target audiences in government and the investment community. Ensures that our outreach and relationships result in impact.
- Participates in the early stages of the development of new initiatives, working closely with staff to map audiences and influencers and to develop outreach plans. Works collaboratively with senior management to maximize the organization's impact.
- Oversees all department functions including marketing, regional outreach, knowledge management, publications, impact measurement, branding and messaging, traditional media, web and social media, and events.
- Manages, develops and coaches staff, setting impact targets for each.
- Manages the Partnership program, which includes 70 organizations around the world and a growing list of researchers, scientists, and thought leaders.
- Collaborates with our fundraising staff on appeals, crowd source fundraising, events, and messaging/promotion.
- Supports all other departments with writing and/or editing needs.
- Manages and strengthens the Global Footprint brand across all media.
- Supports the Regional Directors in engaging with decision makers within priority countries. Monitors international media and events to identify key countries and regions to engage with - and monitors, measures, and promotes results through a variety of media, including print publications, social media, and Radio/TV.
- Develops and provides media training for staff, partners, Ambassador Council members, and other affiliates who promote Global Footprint Network and/or the Ecological Footprint. Leads the development of customized talking points, visuals and printed materials, and assists with development of presentations for staff members before international meetings, speeches, etc.
- 8+ years of experience in media and communications, both traditional and web/social communications.
- Proven leadership experience driving strategic communications programs for corporations, campaigns or non-profits.
- Proven ability to build effective internal and external relationships - strong collaborative decision-making skills.
- Applicants are expected to have exceptional writing, editing, and oral communications skills.
- Applicants should have a track record of successfully pitching stories to the media; writing for a range of marketing and communications applications; building programs for, and rapport with, a diverse group of international stakeholders; managing projects, staff, consultants, PR agencies, and vendors; producing a wide range of collateral material; and working within brand and messaging guidelines.
- Applicants should be knowledgeable about sustainability and global resource issues.
- Candidates must have the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment; a flair for creating and devising innovative marketing ideas; and technical literacy, including fluency with web applications, power point, and basic design programs.
- A background in science writing is a plus.
- Multi-lingual abilities are a plus. Spanish, German, and French are preferred.
Salary And Benefits
Global Footprint Network offers a benefits package and competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Health insurance, 403(b) and other benefits are provided. This is a full-time position located at Global Footprint Network's offices in Oakland, CA. Our collegial, open-plan office is located in a neighborhood with good transit access. Our communal lunches are light-hearted and often delicious.
To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line MUST include the term "Director of Media and Strategic Relationships." Global Footprint Network is committed to diversity in the workplace. For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org.