Research Analyst (Oakland)
Global Footprint Network promotes a sustainable economy by advancing the Ecological Footprint, a tool that makes sustainability measurable. Together with our partners, we coordinate research, develop methodological standards, and provide decision makers with robust resource accounts to help the human economy operate within the Earth's ecological limits.
At the Global Footprint Network, we are always interested in qualified candidates to join our outstanding Research Team. Currently, there are no staff openings in the Research Department, however, we welcome applications for future consideration.
The typical entry level position is a Research Analyst, who supports the maintenance and continuous improvement of the National Footprint Accounts. We are seeking a Research Analyst to join our Research Team to support the maintenance and continuous improvement of the National Footprint Accounts. These accounts serve as the basis of our Ecological Footprint analyses worldwide. The Research Analyst will learn to apply the accounts in projects with governments, businesses and other organizations. In time, s/he will have opportunities to present on the Ecological Footprint method to clients and scientific communities, as well as on the outcome of specific research projects.
Some seasoned candidates may join the team as a Research Scientist, however, these general qualifications would also apply.
The Research Analyst will be based in Oakland and work closely with members of the National Footprint Accounts team, project managers, and others working to help maintain and improve the accounts and to apply the Ecological Footprint. Application activities will require retrieving and analyzing data, generating graphs, contributing to and writing of reports and papers, some of which may be submitted for publication in scientific journals. Additionally, the Research Analyst will work closely with Global Footprint Network’s team members in Europe assisting them on Footprint applications through data, graphs and maps generation as well as report writing.
The Research Analyst will report to the Director of the Research Department.
National Accounts (approximately 50%)
- Reviewing specific areas of scientific research, and incorporating findings into National Footprint Accounts calculation to improve the accuracy and relevance of the metric.
- Collaborating with research partners such as government agencies, academic institutions, and NGOs to validate and improve the data in the accounts and the calculation methodology, and to develop needed scientific information not otherwise available.
- Contributing to programming of the National Footprint Accounts, and to supporting and applying quality assurance procedures.
Applications (approximately 50%)
- Developing and refining approaches for applying the Ecological Footprint in a wide variety of contexts.
- Contributing to projects focusing on application of the Ecological Footprint by generating graphs and maps, retrieving data and by analyzing trends.
- Contributing to and writing of reports and other documentation that serve as project deliverables.
- Providing summaries and interpretations of Footprint data for Global Footprint Network internal use, as well as for clients, partners, and the general public.
- Collaborating with the Global Footprint Network team members in Europe.
- Supporting the communications department in its use of Footprint concepts and data.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree with at least one year of research experience in a relevant field, such as environmental science, environmental or natural resource management, statistics or ecological economics.
- Ability to analyze and manipulate large data sets in Excel and MySQL. Proficiency in Excel VBA and/or MATLAB is desirable. Additionally, C#, GAMS, Python (GIS), Statistics (R and STATA) or CGE modeling experience would be useful.
- Interest in global resource issues and sustainability practice.
- Excitement about being part of a small but growing organization whose influence on global movement toward sustainability is rapidly expanding.
- Ability to work well in a highly interactive team environment and across different time zones.
- Well-organized, self-motivated, and able to meet project deadlines.
- Skilled in both technical writing and oral communications.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Experience with assessments in fisheries, grazing or livestock a plus.
- Fluency in European languages other than English a plus.
- Working knowledge of LCA and I/O methodologies a plus.
The following personal attributes are desired in all Global Footprint Network employees:
- A deep commitment to ecological sustainability
- Ability to communicate Global Footprint Network's mission and impact
- An international mindset and cultural sensitivity, with a diplomatic and respectful demeanor
- A collaborative and solution-oriented approach to solving problems and capitalizing on opportunities
- Proven ability to motivate and inspire colleagues by being an effective team player and leader
- Curiosity, integrity, honesty and a sense of humor
This position is based in Oakland, CA (USA) and requires interactions with Global Footprint Network’s team members in Geneva (Switzerland). Occasional travel may be undertaken to attend meetings, conferences, events, and for project scoping and development.
Salary And Benefits
Global Footprint Network offers a benefits package and competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Health insurance, 403(b) and other benefits are provided. This is a full-time position located at Global Footprint Network's offices in Oakland, CA. Our collegial, open-plan office is located two blocks from Jack London Square with good transit access. Our communal lunches are light-hearted and often delicious.
Please send your resume, a cover letter explaining how this position would fit into your career goals, and your salary requirements to email@example.com; subject line MUST include the term "Research Analyst.” Global Footprint Network is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Global Footprint Network is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to diversity in the workplace. For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org.